Emergency Water Damage Tips
Water damage can happen at any given moment, do it's good to always be prepared. Nobody wants to think about having a water damage to deal with when coming home from work, vacation or any daily activity. The emergency water damage tips provided below can help salvage your belongings. The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage. Act fast! That is exactly what the heroes here at SERVPRO of Rolla do when there is a water damage at your residential or commercial property.
In the event of water damage, follow these tips:
- Shut off the water to the source, or call a professional to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Do not enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.\
- Place aluminium foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, this could cause electrical shock or damage to the device.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
We hope that you found these tips helpful!
SERVPRO of Rolla is a 24 hour a day 7 day a week emergency service professional always looking out for the best interest of our customers.
Please call SERVPRO of Rolla for all of your water damage needs. (573)368-5555