What do you know about lightning? Lightning can occur inside clouds, between clouds and from clouds to the ground. Around one quarter of lightning is from cloud to ground. When lightning strikes the ground it seeks out the shortest route to something with a positive charge, this could be a tree, a tall building or even a person. Lightning is a violent, scary and sometime quite beautiful. Here are some fun facts about lightning:
- The energy contained from a single lightning strike can power a 100 watt light bulb for 90 days.
- The irrational fear of lightning is know as Keraunophobia.
- The odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.
- A single bolt of lightning is around 50,000 or 5 times hotter than the surface of the sun.
- An average instance of lightning last about a quarter of a second and consist of 3-4 strikes.
- "Lightning never strikes twice" is just a myth, lightning can strike the same location many times.
Although lightning can strike anytime, the chance for lightning increases in the spring and summer months. Please be safe when you see lightning in the sky. It can strike you at anytime.
Who Has Been Trained on Bloodborne Pathogens?
Training is a big part of our everyday routine at SERVPRO of Rolla. Our technicians, along with Owners and office staff are trained every year on Bloodborne Pathogens. Here is are a few little tips of information for you.
Bloodborne Pathogens are bacteria, viruses or diseases that are transmitted by contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials (such as semen, vaginal secretions, amniotic fluid, etc.) from infected person to another person.
Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and Human Immune-deficiency Virus (HIV) are three of the most widely known bloodborne pathogens.
Urine, feces, vomits, and saliva are not know to transmit bloodborne pathogens unless they contain visible blood.
Unless you have attended a bloodborne Pathogens Training class, DO NOT touch or attempt to clean-up:
- Human Blood
- Used Condoms
- Any bodily fluid mixed with visible blood
- Needles and syringes
You can not tell by looking at someone if he/she is infected; therefore all employees should be trained on how to safely clean up a spill of potentially infectious materials using "Universal Precautions", which treat all bodily fluids as if they were infectious. Using of this method ensures that no one is exposed during clean-up.
Please never try to clean up or take care of any Bloodborne Pathogens unless you are properly trained. SERVPRO of Rolla is properly trained and has the right Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to do the job.
Please call SERVPRO of Rolla for all of your emergency and non-emergency needs, we are here to help, (573)368-5555
Historic House Fire
Cause of loss photo after fire had been extinguished.
A historic home in St. James, Missouri caught fire in October of 2018. A wood burning stove is believed to be the source of the loss. In this picture is the source of damage, cause of loss photo that was taken when our technicians were on site. SERVPRO of Rolla was called in to perform Board Up services for the customer due to windows and doors being exposed. After board up was complete, SERVPRO of Rolla was again called in to perform content pack out, inventory, cleaning of all contents in the home. Customers are provided a inventory list with pictures of all salvageable and non-salvageable items.
SERVPRO of Rolla is available 24/7 for all of your emergency service needs. Please give us a call at 573-368-5555 and we can make it "Like it never even happened."
Carbon Monoxide: A Friendly Reminder
A little friendly reminder of the hazards of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a gas that you can not see, taste, or smell. According to ready.gov. an average of 430 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide(CO) poisoning.
CO poisoning is entirely preventable. Protect yourself and your family by learning the symptoms of CO poisoning and how to prevent it.
How to Recognize CO Poisoning
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.
CO Poisoning Prevention Tips
- Have a Carbon Monoxide detector placed in your home and change the batteries every 6 months.
- Have you heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician yearly.
- Keep all vents and flues free of debris.
- Never run a motor vehicle, generator, or any gasoline-powered engines less than 20 feet from an open window, door or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
- Never run a generator or any gas powered engines in a basement.
- If you suspect CO poisoning call 911 or a health care professional right away.
Prevention is Key.
How Sewer Damage Affects Any Business
Sewer Damage in a church office in Waynesville, Mo.
Do you ever wonder how a sewer damage can affect your business? If you are a business owner that is a question that should be thought of. At some point in time your business could possibly experience a sewer back up at your commercial property. In order to not lose a day of business that results in loss of sales, call the water damage restoration professionals here at SERVPRO of Rolla. We can get your business back to "Like it never even happened."
Here at SERVPRO of Rolla you can feel rest assured that our team of qualified technicians can handle your loss effectively and quickly to get you back up and running. We have the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or sewage damage emergencies. Weather you damage is small or large we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
Here are 4 ways that water damage affects your business:
- Economic loss
- Health and safety concerns
- Property damage
- Emotional hardship
Here at SERVPRO of Rolla, it is always our # 1 goal to create a happy customer. We go above and beyond to make it "Like it never even happened."
Call SERVPRO of Rolla for all of your commercial needs. 573-368-5555
How Agents Can Benefit Greatly by Referring SERVPRO of Rolla
SERVPRO of Rolla is proud to have a strategic partnership and be a preferred vendor with Farmers Insurance.
SERVPRO of Rolla has some exciting news.
We are officially part of the Farmers Emergency Mitigation Referral Program. This is epic. And we are so very happy, and humbled to be their preferred vendor, to have this strategic partnership with Farmers Insurance. SERVPRO and its franchises have service agreements with many insurance companies across the country. We have relationships with lots of different companies at the Corporate level.
So, what does this mean for agents? Benefits.
As a n agent, you care deeply about your customers, and you're always looking out for their best interest. Know how agents can benefit greatly? By referring SERVPRO of Rolla.
Customer service, customer retention, additional product sales and limited warranty two years' labor/one year materials are all the benefits of how you, the agent, can benefit greatly by referring SERVPRO of Rolla.
We would like to take this opportune time to thank Farmers Insurance for this incredible opportunity. We look forward to working with each of you. Anytime you need us, have a question or ready to send a referral, simply give us a call at 573-368-5555
The SERVPRO of Rolla Way: Faster to Any Size Disaster
Our Trucks are Always Ready for Anything!
Why choose SERVPRO of Rolla? We're faster to any size disaster-whether it is a fire or water damage. This is the SERVPRO of Rolla way. If your home or business is hit with fire damage, water damage or storm damage, we can make it "Like it never even happened." There is no job that is too big or too small for our tem of heroes.
Flooding, storm or water emergencies don't wait for regular business hours, and neither do we. SERVPRO of Rolla provides 24 hour a day, 7 days a week-including all holidays.
Combining rapid response time, professionalism, and open and effective line of communication, exemplary customer service and more are reasons why your should choose SERVPRO of Rolla for your next fire or water damage. Come back and check out more blogs informing all as to why you should choose SERVPRO of Rolla.
Call us anytime 573-368-5555
Holiday Hacks for Cleaning Your Home
With the holidays right around the corner, you’re, more than likely, in the cleaning mode.
Frantically trying to get your home spic and span, especially for your holiday family and friends. So, as a gift to you, SERVPRO of Rolla wants to provide you with some holiday cleaning hacks for your home.
Carpet Cleaning Hacks
- If you have wax on your carpets, place a slightly damp towel on the wax. Next, place an iron on top of the towel for approximately 10-60 seconds (use best judgment). Then remove. Keep checking until the wax is completely removed.
- Got kiddos? If you do, chances are, you have gum or crayon stains on your carpets/floors. SERVPRO of Rolla has effective SERVPRO specialized products designed just for those needs. Contact SERVPRO of Rolla to see how we will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Garbage Disposal Odor Cleaning Hacks
- If your garbage disposal is giving off an odorous smell, simply place an orange or lemon down the drain. And, voila, it’s like the smell never even happened.
- To get rid of a smelly stench, sprinkle about a half-cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by a cup of white or apple cider vinegar. Let the mixture bubble up and sit for 5-10 minutes. Then, turn on the disposal and run water to distribute the mixture throughout the unit. This is a great deodorizer.
We hope that you enjoyed a couple of cleaning hacks form SERVPRO of Rolla, we are here to help so call, 573-368-5555.
Changing Winter Weather
Results of what can happen 12 hours later.....Snow!
When living in Missouri you never know what your going to get. Weather changes so much in Missouri you can have all four seasons in one week. Frozen pipes are often those exposed to the cold weather, such as those outside your house, or in cold areas such as basements, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets. *A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. **Here are some tips to prevent pipes from freezing.
*Be sure to completely drain water from the swimming pool and sprinkler lines, as well as outside hoses.
*Open kitchen cabinets to let warm air near the plumbing.
*When the weather is extremely cold, let water drip from faucets that may come from exposed pipes.
*Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night.
SERVPRO of Rolla is always here to help, 24/7
Finding Odors in Your Home After the Holiday's?
Left overs in fridge can cause smelly odors in your home!
Odors after the holiday celebration can be baffling.
Finding the source of the odor can help resolve the issue. Look in your refrigerator for those awful smells. Here are some refrigerator cleaning tips from SERVPRO of Rolla:
- Remove all food from the refrigerator first and put any removable drawers or shelves in a sink full of warm water
- Using a solution of 1/2 cup water and a 1/2 cup white vinegar in a spray bottle wash down the inside of the fridge.
- Wash and replace the drawers and shelves, and refill with the salvageable food.
- Place open box of baking soda inside to help absorb odors.
Do this after all of your big party functions and holiday's to keep offensive odors from invading your home.
SERVPRO "We are here to help"