Carbon Monoxide; Did You Know?
Did you know that you can not see or smell carbon monoxide? Well, you can not! At high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels lie gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane burn incompletely.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more that 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated that another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups including, unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia or respiratory problems being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.
An excess of carbon monoxide, leading to CO poisoning can result from faulty furnaces, or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or idling cars left running in garages.
How to Recognize CO Poisoning
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are;
- Chest pain
People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.
CO Poisoning Precautionary Tips
- Have a carbon monoxide detector placed in your home and change the batteries every 6 months.
- Keep all vents and flues free of debris.
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced by qualified technician yearly.
- Never run a motor vehicle, generator, or any gas powered engines less than 20 feet from an open window, door or vent.
- If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning call 911 or a health care professional right away.
Do you need your Ducts Cleaned?
Prime example of air ducts before they have been cleaned by SERVPRO of Rolla.
Did you know that investing in regular air duct cleaning can reduce indoor allergens like dust, pollen and pet dander? Air duct cleaning is vital to cleanliness of the air you breathe in.
Since the ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality, inspecting the ductwork in your home or business should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors and contaminants such as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
SERVPRO of Rolla provides commercial and residential air duct cleaning that can improve the air quality in your Phelps County home or business.
How often do you need your air ducts cleaned?
It is recommended to get your air ducts cleaned every three to five years. However, if you have elderly family, pets, allergies or young children it may be beneficial to clean your air ducts more often. If you see a lot of dust gathering on furniture just after cleaning, that could be one sign that your air ducts need cleaning.
The SERVPRO Duct Cleaning Process
- The process begins by using patented equipment including a roto-scraper, which aromatically adapts to the ducts shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and dirt before vacuuming begins
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a collection bag.
- Air is then filtered through a HEPA filtration system removing 99.97 percent of particles in the air-stream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the environment clean.
- As an optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Always have a replacement filter on hand so that we may change them out at the time of service.
If you have questions about air duct cleaning services for your home or business please give us a call SERVPRO of Rolla at (573)368-5555.
Fire can cause pretty interesting webs!
Fires are devastating disasters to all involved. Sometimes restoration companies such as ourselves, find peculiar results from these fires. Your first thought when you look at the picture could be "my, those are cob webs" but it is actually something that we refer to as smoke webs, soot webs, or even soot tags! This is a picture of a home that we performed services on where smoke webs appeared in the corners of the room.
Why do these smoke webs appear?
The ionization process of burning, particularly synthetic materials like plastics, rubbers and polymers, creates charged smoke particles which can attract towards certain surfaces, and attract to each other creating chains, and ultimately web-like formations. Webs form under certain conditions called wet smoke, which involves low heat, or smoldering type environments. Smoke webs are typically sticky and pungent and will smudge easily. These webs will show up in areas where there is limited air flow, typically corners and edges of ceiling. Depending on what exactly the webs are made of, they can be more difficult to clean.
SERVPRO of Rolla is here to help! Our franchise is locally owned and operated, so we are already close by and ready to respond immediately when you need us most. Please give us a call today at (573)-368-5555
Choosing the Right Restoration Company
SERVPRO of Rolla, ready and waiting to help you!
Disasters are devastating. Whether caused by water, fire, or storms they can turn your world upside down in a matter of minutes. Even if your are the strongest of us all, you can begin to feel helpless not knowing where to turn after a catastrophe. But fortunately for you, SERVPRO of Rolla is here and ready to help.
Why SERVPRO? Why not just pick another company? Let's consider this; if you find out that you have life threatening illness that requires surgery, would you not want the surgeon with the most extensive training, experience, and a reputation to be the best to get you back to good health? Well, your property is one of the biggest investment you will make in your lifetime, so it is also very important to have a company with the knowledge, experiences and reputation that you can trust to return your property to its preloss condition.
Three Best Reasons to Use SERVPRO of Rolla
- Training- Here at SERVPRO of Rolla we never stop learning and improving our skills. We are trained to IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) high standards in fire and water cleanup, mold remediation, carpet and upholstery cleaning and other cleaning and other courses. Our SERVPRO education is always ongoing to help us succeed.
- Equipment- Our technicians have the professional equipment needed to completely clean and remove the effects of water, mold, soot, smoke, odor and more. Here at SERVPRO of Rolla we keep up on all the latest technology and techniques used in the restoration industry.
- Experience- SERVPRO is not some fly-by-night company. They started over 50 years ago and currently have over 1,700 franchises nationwide.
If ever in need of a disaster restoration company SERVPRO of Rolla is here to help 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, including holiday's.
Faster to Any Size Disaster; The SERVPRO of Rolla Way
Our Green Machines are Always Ready for Anything!
Why choose SERVPRO of Rolla? Here at SERVPRO we are here to help! We're faster to any size disaster whether it is a fire, water, mold, bio-hazard, or storm damage, we can make it "Like it never even happened." There is no job that is to big or to small for our team of hero's!
Flooding, storm or water emergencies don't wait for regular business hours, and neither do we. SERVPRO of Rolla provides 24 hour a day, 7 day a week service for our customers including all holidays.
Combining rapid response time, professionalism, and open and effective line of communication, exemplary customer service and many more are reasons why you should choose SERVPRO of Rolla for your next fire or water damage. Come back and check out more blogs informing all as to why your should choose SERVPRO of Rolla.
Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at
573-368-5555 We are here to help!
Cleaning for the Holiday Season
It is that time of year again! With the holidays right around the corner, you are more than likely in the cleaning mode. While frantically trying to get your home spic and span, especially for your holiday family, SERVPRO of Rolla has a gift for you. SERVPRO of Rolla wants to provide your with some holiday cleaning tips for your home.
Carpet cleaning Tips
- If you have wax on your carpets, place a slightly damp towel on the wax. Next, place a iron on top of the towel for approximately 10-60 seconds (using your best judgment), then remove. Keep checking until the wax is completely removed.
- Do you have kiddos? If you do, chances are that you have gum or crayon stains on your carpets and or floors. SERVPRO of Rolla has effective SERVPRO specialized products designed just for those needs. Contact SERVPRO of Rolla to see how we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Garbage Disposal Odor Cleaning Tricks
- If your garbage disposal is giving off an odorous smell, simply place an orange or lemon down the drain. Run the garbage disposal and wow, it is like the smell never even happened!
- To get rid of a smelly stench, sprinkle about a half-cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by a cup of white or apple cider vinegar. Let the mixture bubble up and sit for 5-10 minutes. Then, turn on the disposal and run water to distribute the mixture throughout the unit. What a great deodorizer.
We all here at SERVPRO of Rolla hope that your get some use out of some of our holiday cleaning tips for 2019.
No job is to big or to small for SERVPRO of Rolla, please give us a call at 573-368-5555
Do You Have a Emergency Supply Kit?
Whether it is Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter severe weather can happen anytime and anywhere. Knowing your risk of severe weather, taking action and being and example are just a few steps that you can take to be better prepared to save your life and assist in saving the lives of others.
Know your risk. Understand the type of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work.
Take action. Put together or purchase an emergency kit. Keep important papers and valuables in a sate place.
Be an example. Share your story with co-workers, family and friends. Your preparedness story will inspire others to do the same.
Here are some items for a emergency supply kit;
- Water (one gallon per person per day)
- Food (non-perishable 3-day supply)
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio, preferably a NOAA Weather Radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust masks or bandannas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
You can never be to prepared for an emergency.
Soda Media, It's a Blast!
Look at the difference Soda Blasting can make
Did you know that SERVPRO of Rolla can blast away your troubles? Our trained technicians are using soda media.
You might not of known that baking soda abrasive blasting can remove soot carbon and even some light charring from wood after a fire damage without further damaging the structure. Our blasting with soda media technique is four times faster than hand sanding and brushing with leaving the wood with what can be best describes as a "like new" appearance. The added bonus is the natural deodorization achieved while using this media.
Soda blast media can be used for several other jobs such as;
- Removal of graffiti from buildings
- Removal of grease and gunk from tools and auto parts
- Removal of old paint
- Removal of mold from crawl spaces
- Removal of soot from brick or stone fireplaces
- And many more
There is no soda media blast that is to big or to small for SERVPRO of Rolla. Please give us a call at (573)368-5555 to discuss your cleaning needs.
Great day at SERVPRO of Rolla for our annual respirator fit test and training
Although your SERVPRO technicians are always ready to respond in your time of need, there is ample time for training. In this picture our technicians are retraining on their respirators. Our retraining on respirator fit test occur annually. This annual training helps refresh the employees of the safety and OSHA requirements. Our goal in this training procedure is to help our technicians understand the;
- Why to use a respirator
- How to use a respirator
- When to use a respirator
- How to inspect, clean, maintain, and store
- How to recognize medical signs and symptoms that may limit use
Air quality at work sites may become contaminated by various sources. Gases, fumes, and mists along with smoke, dusts, microorganisms, sprays, fogs and vapors from professional cleaning products. All of these sources could have hazards causing the technicians the need to use their respirators.
There are several areas in our work that technicians use a respirator;
- Dry cleaning upholstery
- Thermal fogging, ULV misting, or applying sealants
- Smoke and heavy soot, fire extinguisher dust, or construction dust
- Sewage backups due to air borne bacteria
- Mold contamination
Here at SERVPRO of Rolla we keep our technicians fully trained and retrained on respirator fit test and the knowledge of the use to fully protect themselves when the situations arises.
Frozen Pipe Prevention Tips
Winter weather is fast approaching! Do you know all the tips and tricks of protecting pipes from freezing? Frozen pipes are often those exposed to the cold weather, such as those that are located outside of your home. These cold areas such as basements, attics, garages. Here are some frozen pipe prevention tips to help you out;
- Be Prepared. Check you foundation, and locate all vents. Place foam insulation to block off those vents leading to crawlspace spaces.
- When weather is extremely cold, let water drip form faucets that may come from exposed pipes.
- Open kitchen cabinets to let warm air circulate around plumbing lines.
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night. In extreme cold weather you may want to raise the temperature in the home slightly.
- In the worst case, turn off the main water valve while the house is unoccupied or while you sleep. This will ensure that if a pipe freezes and breaks, the water loss will be limited only to the water contained within the pipe.
A frozen pipe that burst in your home can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. Make sure to always know where your shut off valve is located and call SERVPRO of Rolla if the need arises.
SERVPRO of Rolla is always here to help, 24/7