Unattended cooking increases your chance for a kitchen fire.
A local fire that started on the stove.
Did you know many kitchen fires were caused by unattended cooking? In today's world it is easy to get distracted by situations that grab your attention away from cooking for longer than intended.
Here are some stats of damages caused by kitchen fires:
Cooking fire stats:
- US fire departments respond to an estimated average of 172,900 home structure fires per year started by cooking activities in 2014-2018
- Cooking equipment is the leading cause of home* fires and fire injuries, causing 49% of home fires that resulted in 21% of the home fire deaths and 44% of the injuries.
- Two-thirds of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
- Clothing is the item first ignited in less than 1% of these fires, but clothing ignitions lead to 8% of the home cooking equipment fire deaths.
- Ranges or cooktops account for three-fifths (61%) of home cooking fire incidents.
- Unattended equipment is a factor in one-third (31%) of reported home cooking fires and over half (53%) of the associated deaths.
- Frying dominates the cooking fire problem.
Here are some tips on cooking especially with oil or frying:
What you should know about home cooking safety
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains — away from your stovetop.
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or too tired to cook. Do not cook.
If you have a cooking fire
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Safety considerations for cooking with oil
- Always stay in the kitchen when frying on the stovetop.
- Keep an eye on what you fry. If you see wisps of smoke or the oil smells, immediately turn off the burner and/or carefully remove the pan from the burner. Smoke is a dangerous sign that the oil is too hot.
- Heat the oil slowly to the temperature you need for frying or sautéing.
- Add food gently to the pot or pan so the oil does not splatter.
- Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time. Never throw water on the fire.
- If the fire does not go out or if you can't place a lid over the pan, get everyone out of your home. Call the fire department from outside
After a fire, Call us we are open 24/7 and we are there when you need us the most.
This fire loss had many contents and keepsakes that we were able to salvage.
Contents are often easily overlooked in a fire. Most homeowners or tenants are worried about the damage and devastation that a fire calls to the property. They’re worried about their furniture, they are worried about their vehicle and their wallet, but it’s easy to forget many of the smaller things that can add up and cost a lot of money to a customer to replace.
Here at SERVPRO of Rolla, we make every effort possible to restore every item and article in your home or property that has been damaged or affected by a fire. This includes all of your electronics, DVD collections, memorabilia, clothes, shoes and all other personal items and keepsakes that can be restored. We know that our customers are in an uncomfortable situation with any type of loss, so that’s where SERVPRO of Rolla comes in to help you deal with the devastation of your loss.
We are #HereToHelp
Please call us 24/7 (573) 368-5555
Are You Completing a Construction Project?
Hospital hallway clean and ready for service.
SERVPRO of Rolla will help ensure your finished building projects always look their best.
Post construction cleaning- Once the floors are down and the drywall is up, it's time to remove the dust, dirt and debris in order to lay carpet, paint and decorate. We offer the cleaning service to prepare your building for interior design.
Dehumidification and Drying - During construction, a building can often trap moisture. Excessive moisture could result in mold growth. If you think one of your projects may have moisture, rely on our professionals to provide the help you need in eliminating moisture and preventing the potential for mold growth.
Final Cleaning- You will want your facility to look its best when the doors are scheduled to open. We can provide a final detail clean to give the building that extra shine that will surely impress.
Safety, structural integrity, materials, labor, customer satisfaction and deadlines- the list goes on and on when building a commercial facility. The bottom line, however, is you are responsible for getting the doors open on time. You can rely on your local SERVPRO of Rolla professionals to help ensure your post-construction cleanup gets done as quickly as possible.
Call us today to discuss your after construction needs
Cob Webs or Smoke Webs?
Your fire can cause pretty interesting webs!
Fires are devastating disaster to all involved. In some instances, restoration companies such as ourselves, find peculiar results from these fires. Your first thought when you look at the picture could be "are those my cob webs" but it is actually something that we refer to as smoke webs, soot webs, or even soot tags! Pictured here is a home that our team performed services on where smoke webs appeared in the corners of the room.
How do these smoke webs appear?
the ionization process of burning, particularly synthetic materials like plastics, rubbers and polymers, creates charged smoke particles which can attract towards certain surfaces and attract to each other creating chains, and ultimately web-like formations. Webs form under certain conditions called wet smoke, which involves low heat or smoldering type environments. Smoke webs are typically sticky and pungent and will smudge easily. these webs will show up in areas where there is limited air flow, typically corners and edges of ceilings. Depending on what exactly the webs are made of, they can be more difficult to clean.
If you home or business has experienced a devastating fire loss, look no further, SERVPRO of Rolla is here to help! Our franchise is locally owned and operated, so we are already close by and ready to respond immediately when you need us the most.
SERVPRO of Rolla is your best source for all your emergency service needs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Call today at (573)368-5555
How Is Your Business' Air Quality? Duct Cleaning Can Help!
Are you concerned with your customers and employees air quality in your place of business? The ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality, but your can help change that! Inspecting the ductwork in your business should be a high priority. With business being concerned with COVID-19, now is a perfect time to clean your duct work before it gets to hot and you continue to circulate bad air. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold, COVID-19 spores, and irritating dust throughout your business.
A routine part of your local SERVPRO of Rolla's service is inspecting the heating and air conditioning duct work system. Keeping the system and duct work clean can potentially extend the life-span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may help save you money.
Getting your duct work cleaned regularly, you can feel great in knowing that you are doing your part as a business owner in keeping the air quality in your business clean and safe.
The SERVPRO of Rolla duct cleaning system is proven and cost-efficient. Our team of professionals use a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
Call us today to schedule an appointment (573)368-5555
SERVPRO of Rolla Faster to Any Size Disaster
Why choose SERVPRO of Rolla? Here at SERVPRO we are here to help! We're faster to any size disaster whether it is a fire, water, mold, bio-hazard, or storm damage. There is no job that is too big or too small for our team of heroes!
Flooding, fire, storm or water emergencies don't wait for regular business hours, and neither do we. SERVPRO of Rolla provides 24 hour a day, 7 day a week service for our customers including all holidays.
Combining rapid response time, professionalism, with open and effective line of communication, exemplary customer service and many more are reasons why you should choose SERVPRO of Rolla for your next fire or water damage. Come back and check out more blogs informing all as to why you should choose our wonderful team of fully trained technicians that will be hard at work for you anytime of day or night.
Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
(573)368-5555 We are here to help!
Why SERVPRO? The Professional Packout & Content Restoration Company for Your Home or Business
Here at SERVPRO of Roll we're the professional pack-out and content restoration company for your home or business.
You've had a minor fire at your place of residence or establishment. One of the many things that crosses your mind is all of your sentimental valuables. Everything is affected: your photos from your favorite holidays, your autographed balls, cards, and signed pictures, your family heirloom, the list goes on and on. Just ruined, or so you think.
When your are faced with something as overwhelming and stressful as that, you need someone to come in and turn that into a stress free situation. That is where our heroes here at SERVPRO of Rolla come in. Our heroes save the day by making it "Like it never even happened."
When you have a fire damage at your home or business, our team can properly pack out your belongings and perform content restoration. We will treat you with respect and empathy, and we will always treat your home or business and belongings with care.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning due to fire damage, SERVPRO of Rolla can conduct an organized, efficient plan of action. Move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- Quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs.
If you belongings are affected by fire damage, we can restore them with content restoration. SERVPRO of Rolla has expertise and "restore" versus "replace" mentality that can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that cannot be replaced. Our team of professionals will pretest your belongings to determine what items we can restore to preloss condition. We use several methods of cleaning your contents including:
- Dry Cleaning -used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to we cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning -An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can not withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning -used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning -Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning -Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If you ever wonder why SERVPRO, it's because we are the professional pack-out and content restoration company for your home or business.
Let SERVPRO of Rolla be the professionals that will take care of you!
Are You Ready For The Holiday Season?
It is that time of year again! With the holidays right around the corner, you are more than likely in the cleaning mode. While frantically trying to get your home spic and span, especially for your holiday family, SERVPRO of Rolla has a gift for you. SERVPRO of Rolla wants to provide you with a couple of holiday cleaning tips.
Carpet Cleaning Tips
- If you have wax on your carpets, place a slightly damp towel on the wax. Next, place a iron on top of the towel for approximately 10-60 seconds (using your best judgment), then remove. Keep checking until the wax is completely removed.
- Do you have kiddos? if you do, chances are that you have gum or crayon stains on your carpets and or floors. SERVPRO of Roll has effective SERVPRO specialized products designed just for those needs. Contact SERVPRO of Rolla to see how we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Garbage Disposal Odor Cleaning Tricks
- If your garbage disposal is giving off an odorous smell, simply place an orange or lemon down the drain. Run the garbage disposal and wow, it is like the smell never even happened!
- To get rid of a smelly stench, sprinkle about a half cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by a cup of white or apple cider vinegar. let the mixture bubble up and sit for 5-10 minutes. Then, turn on the disposal and run water to distribute the mixture throughout the unit. What a great deodorizer.
Our team here at SERVPRO of Rolla hope that you get some use out of a few of our holiday cleaning tips.
We are here to help 24/7 call us anytime (573)368-5555
Is Your Emergency Supply Kit Ready?
No matter what time of year it is, in Missouri we should always be prepared. Weather it is Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter severe weather can happen anytime and anywhere. Knowing your risk of severe weather, taking action and setting an example are just a few steps that you can take to be better prepared to save your life and assist in saving the lives of others.
Keep informed on upcoming weather, and understand the type of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work.
Take action and put together or purchase an emergency kit. Keep important papers and valuables in a safe place.
Share your story with others. Your preparedness story will inspire others to do the same.
Here are some items for a emergency supply kit;
- Water (one gallon per person per day)
- Food ( non perishable 3 day supply)
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio, preferably a NOAA Weather Radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask or bandannas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
You can never be to prepared for an emergency for your loved ones.
Why SERVPRO? Because Response Time Matters!
SERVPRO of Rolla, we are here to help 24/7!
It is a sad fact of life that household emergencies often happen at inconvenient times. Hearing the unmistakable noise of running water from a broken pipe in the middle of the night, coming home from vacation to find two feet of water in your basement, there is no good time to deal with this kind of disaster.
At SERVPRO of Rolla we understand that when these types of situations arise, you need help now and that may not be during regular business hours. Our team of professionals will answer your phone calls 24 hours a day 7 days a week including all holidays.
It only takes minutes for water to begin damaging structures, contents, and personal belongings. Faster response times help to minimize damage and the costs of restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Rolla day or night and let our specially trained restoration specialist make your home "Like it never even happened."